Pardon our Swedish
A longish article on a swedish website with some quotes of Green and a short history of Scritti Politti: Scritti Politti vÃ¤xlar spÃ¥r pÃ¥ nytt. That sorta translates to: Scritti Politti alternates tracks again. Nice part is there is also a stream of Dr. Abernathy. The article also mentions two reasons for the title White Bread, Black Beer.
– when I played in with black musicians in New york could the sometimes to say about my inpass, â€œ
oneman, thats so white breadâ€. The meant that the lets widely, processed, homogeniserathomogenized. But I like the, Beach Boy’s where my breastmother’s milk. I might also consult that my melodies sometimes lets as child chants. I believe the comes from vacation era coat (soulig reggae). Lov era coat is as child chants for adult.
the title â€œWhite bread, black beerâ€ reflects also my life in Hackney. For first past knows I a home feeling in the blocks where I building. I am depending on a soft,
widewhite breads as the Turkish baker on my street does. Opposite lies a pub where I on the evenings drinks Â Guinness with neighbours and friends.
Our apologies for a clearly awful translation of the swedish test!
The full article, machine translated (Help us out, swedish readers!)
Scritti Politti alternates tracks again
Scritti Politti has since 70-talet jumped between the pop music’s extremes – from political philosophy to polished surface. After a confused decade is
the he back. â€œI am as a dog with a sows on the leg, I can not to let to become to poke in theâ€, says sÃ¤rlingen Green Gartside. â€œIâ€™m like a dog with a wound in the leg, I canâ€™t stop picking in itâ€, says the eccentric Green Gartside.
Wants to one to try to understand the modern pop music’s development exists the no better road needle even Green Gartside and his band projects Scritti Politti. No other artist has equally drasticly gone from the seventy number’s most antikommersiella alternative musics, packed in photo State imaged record sleeves, to the 80s’s most perfect burnished hit songs.
No other has neither done pop music of philosophy. Scritti Politti has on your previous records been paid from Wittgenstein, quoted the French psycho analyst Lacan on a tip 10-hit (â€œThe Word girlâ€) and up to and including a done tune with the title â€œJacques Derridaâ€.
The comeback record â€œWhite bread
wild duck black beerâ€ – that is given out on Rough Trade June 5 – is hemspunnen homespun soulpop influerad influenced of the American philosopher Richard Rorty. In the radio kind â€œDr. Abernathyâ€ sings Green about â€œThe owl of Â Minervaâ€, a reference to Hegel.
– the new record acts about different dependencies, says Green. I have realized that I actually needs musical, I need my vacation era coat, hiphop and Beach Boy’s. I need also the hope about that to ends to find visshet, although the is in vain. And this joints me all the time back to my Â philosophy beeches. I am not safe on that the is good for me,
but I am as a dog with a sows on the leg. I cannot let to become to poke in the. Iâ€™m like a dog with a wound in the leg, I canâ€™t stop picking in it.
Green Gartside was given birth to June 22, 1955 in Wales that Paul Julian Strohmeyer. 15 years old started he and a buddy a local department of Young Communist League, but succeeded only vÃ¤rva an only member. When Green saw six pistol’s on AnarchyturnÃ©n 1977 realized he that the existed more effective ways to change the world. The band name Scritti Politti became a game with the Italian’s â€œscritti politiciâ€, politically type. A tribute to the Italian marxisten Antonio Gramsci (1891-1937).
The first edition of Scritti Politti had a 20-tal members, of which only some few each musician. The other constituted a kind tankesmedja. All each squatters, illegal squatters, in a rivningskÃ¥k in Camden, London. A chaotic interior picture from there was shown up on an ep.
Debutsingeln â€œSkank Bloc Bolognaâ€ was given out 1978 on their own label. In the text meant Green that the true punkrevolutionen 1977 may rooms in Bologna, where violence to suckle upplopp did that the mayor a while the lost control over the town.
Scritti Politti each also precursor within DIY-kulturen (â€œdo it yourselfâ€). The band went longer than all other through that on the change to the first record to print the total cost for production and telephone numbers to presseri and printer.
But Green became fast desillusionerad of the alternative culture there you are lifted forward as a conductor. During a concert along with Gang of Four early 1980 might he a panic anxiety attack and collapsed on the scene. His parents, as read about the event in NME, arranged an illness cottage in the form of a small torp in Wales.
– I were having a propensity to, but above all needed I to intend, tells Green. I began to type on what as became a long manifesto. I read and was inspired of political tÃ¤nkare and philosophers. I tried to evaluate what as happened in the world and the pop music. Then, I invited down the other in the band to Wales and baths them to read the.
What Green came until in the manifesto where that the best way to achieve a change where not to continue to be alternative, and thereby to remain stem fitted to the margin, without to however to give himself across in in the wasp nest. Scritti Politti willed be changed to a pure popband, with the clear objective to end up one on the lists.
– we hang all in Rough Trade-butiken says Green. All musicians farmed where to puton tip 10- Â lists. On my lists farmed the to last Raincoats, slit, participates 5, typical alternative music. But a day could I not type anything else than â€œOff the wallâ€ with Michael Jackson.
– the independent had become an establishment in itself. The had grown forward a completed and validated indiesound, the exists still, which I actually ogillar. Soulmusiken felt more honester.
The surrounding world became shocked when the saw the record sleeves on Scritti Polittis the following singlar. Instead of black-and-white pictures on squats each changes perfect pastischer on some of contemporary even bÃ¤stsÃ¤ljande products. â€œThe sweetest girlâ€ was wrapped as a packet Dunhillcigarretter, â€œFaithlessâ€ as Dior Eau Sauvage, â€œAsylums in Jerusalemâ€ as Courvoiser-konjak. And this 20 year before the existed an expression that â€œblingblingâ€.
– Geoff Travis on Rough Trade understood what we wanted to do, but not many other. Our bass player, Nial, that came from a more traditional marxistisk background had hugely difficultly to live with the. To ends each the only I left in the band.
With the album â€œCupid&Psyche 85â€ full bottom spirit Green the idea from your manifesto. Scritti Politti consisted now of him alone and peace Maher and David Gamson, two extreme run New york musicians.
Uppbackad of a majority million investment from a multinational record company, and with limitless access to Manhattans costliest record studios, did those tunes that â€œabsoluteâ€ and â€œWood beez (Pray equal Aretha Franklin)â€ as the pursued plan and gouped on all world’s tip lists.
In Sweden was played Scritti Politti permanent in radio programmes that â€œEldoradoâ€.
10 km Miles Davis each so impressed of the perfect mentomentersvÃ¤nget on â€œPerfect wayâ€ that you played in a version. And Green alone posed as photo mock-up in Vogue.
After 1980-talets successes became 1990-talet a confused and lost decade, Green tried to take the ideas further through to first to incorporate to pick up (two singlar was released but the album was given never out) and since hiphop on the album â€œAnomie&Bonhomieâ€ from 1999.
– some week after that that record been released dialed Geoff Travis on Rough Trade up. He said that he thought I had done a good record, but explained afterwards why no willed consult the. I had wrong environment, wrong record companies, mis- urging low and needed therefore his help. And of course had he correct in all.
Seven years latter, after many discarded production hours with hiphopbeats (â€œI believed I each DJ premiums a whileâ€) is the first new Scritti Politti-skivan on Rough Trade ready to be given out. I say that the seems that about the has big indulgence with their artists.
– I willed enough say that the has an extreme indulgence, says Green. Elizabeth Frasier from Cocteau Twins typed on for Rough Trade approximately concurrent as I. During your seven years she has done clearly two tunes. One can think that the should hit us with sticks, but the seems to have time to wait.
Green lives today in Hackney, a glamourless part of London, in a house along with
your his wife. There, he has a small hemmastudio home recording studio. After all years with proficient studio musician has he backspaced to â€œdo it yourselfâ€ – the roots and begun to do musical where the attitude is more important than perfektion. The album title, â€œWhite bread, black beerâ€, has double importance.
– when I played in with black musicians in New york could the sometimes to say about my inpass, â€œone, thats so white breadâ€. The meant that the lets widely, processed, homogeniserat. But I like the, Beach Boy’s where my breast milk. I might also consult that my melodies sometimes lets as child chants. I believe the comes from vacation era coat (soulig reggae). Lov era coat is as child chants for adult.
– the title â€œWhite bread wild duck black beerâ€ reflects also my life in Hackney. For first past knows I a home feeling in the blocks where I building. I am depending on a soft, wide breads as the Turkish baker on my street does. Opposite lies a pub where I on the evenings drinks Â Guinness with neighbours and friends.
After 20 years’ scene fear is Green also ready to play life again.
– I have a new band comprizing untried musicians in 20-Ã¥rsÃ¥ldern, says Green.
I bought the basis to the bass player, she may no before. Two off the guys live in squats in eastern London. The lets messily and chaotic when we play, but I think actually about the. I fulfil 51 about some weeks. The feels that about I never felt gooder. “I bought the bass player a bass as he/she didnâ€™t have one. Two of the guys live in squats in eastern London. It sounds messily and chaotic when we play, but I really like it. I will become 51 in a couple of weeks. It feels like Iâ€™ve never been better.”