Archive for January, 2011
(Picture from 1980)
Here is a video clip from a conversation with Jon King and Andy Gil from Gang of Four at Bennicassim Festival 2009 in Spain.
Were their crazy antics the reason Green went into his first of many “wilderness” phases?
Probably not really, but you be the judge.
Thanks to Andrew for bringing this to our attention.
Steve Wright played “Day Late and a Dollar short” on BBC Radio
2hr, 49m, 40s into the show.
Thanks Rhodri for pointing this out!
I found this pic on eBay tonight. A different bidder from the one we saw last week.
Friday 11 – Sunday 13 February 2011
The Playhouse, Whitstable
Friday 11 February, 7pm – 10.30pm
Doors open at 7pm
Presentation: Robert Wyatt on his favourite music
Short films hosted by BFI and introduced by Jonny Trunk: Tristram Cary on film
Saturday 12 February, 10am – 10.30pm
Talk: Ken Hollings on the post-Cageian universe
Talk: Rob Young and Matthew Herbert on the impact of musique concrète on contemporary sonic culture
Talk: Steve Beresford and John Kieffer in conversation
Talk: Kodwo Eshun on his favourite music writing
Talk: Dave Tompkins on the history of the vocoder, from its use in the Second World War to its role in the era of Auto Tune
Talk: Teal Triggs on Fanzines
Presentation: Christian Marclay
Short films hosted by Lux: Cage On Cable
Sunday 13 February: 11am – 5pm
Writing tips from The Wire (limited capacity)
Panel discussion: Salome Voegelin, David Toop, Daniela Cascella on the philosophy of listening
In conversation: Green Gartside with Mark Fisher discussing politics and cultural theory in pop culture and music
Performance lecture: Claudia Molitor, Jennifer Walshe, Sarah Nicholls on music notation
Thanks David C for sharing!
Here is a 30-second preview of “Day Late and a Dollar Short” and “A Place We Both Belong” from Absolute Scritti Politti (Best of Collection) due in stores and online starting February 28th, 2011. They are in mono format to save bandwidth and to encourage you to buy the songs in higher quality format when they become available.
(Note: EMI/UK Zoom Lawyers- Just let us know if posting this is a bad idea, but our aim is to promote your product:)
Thanks goes to a long time friend who shall remain anonymous.
BTW: 2 thumbs up from me! PWBB is haunting and cool. DLDS is Green meets Gamson with a hint of Ke$ha. I would never have guessed they could have pulled that off! But it all makes sense!
Details on the new best of Scritti Politti album are coming available!
In the words of Pink, “raise your glass!” Its cabaret time!
First off, thanks to bibbly-o-tek.com reader to David C who found this on eBay!
This is the description from the ebay poster:
‘Absolute’ is the first ever career-spanning collection of words and music by Scritti Politti – including two new and exclusive tracks. This collection includes:
* Debut single, ‘Skank Bloc Bolonga’
* Singles from 1982 album ‘Songs to Remember’: – ‘The Sweetest Girl’ (later covered by Madness), featuring Robert Wyatt, on piano. ‘Asylums In Jerusalem’ and ‘Jacques Derrida’
* Five singles from the bands most successful album ‘Cupid & Psyche’ 85, produced by legendary producer Arif Mardin: ‘Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha)’, ‘Absolute’, ‘Hypnotise’, ‘The Word Girl’ and ‘Perfect Way’.
* Two tracks taken from their third album, ‘Provision’ – ‘Oh Patti (Don’t Feel Sorry For Loverboy)’ featuring a trumpet solo from jazz genius Miles Davis (who himself covered Scritti’s ‘Perfect Way’ at the Montreux Jazz Festival, July 1988), plus ‘Boom! There She Was’ featuring legendary musician Roger Troutman.
* Top 20 single ‘She’s a Woman’ a cover of The Beatles track, featuring guest vocals from Shabba Ranks
* Four songs from 1999′s universally acclaimed album ‘Anomie and Bonhomie’, ‘Tinseltown To The Boogiedown’ (featured guests Mos Def and Jimhal), ‘Umm’, ‘Die Alone’ and ‘Brushed With Oil’, ‘Dusted With Powder’.
* Two new and exclusive tracks ‘Day Late and a Dollar Short’ and ‘A Place We Both Belong’ – the first to be released / co-written with long-time collaborator David Gamson since Anomie and Bonhomie.
(I am impressed, this eBayer knows his/her Scritti! Perhaps this is from a press release or marketing piece…)
According to bibbly-o-tek reader and poster and Scritti Scholar Neil, this is the complete new track list:
1. Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)
3. The Word Girl (Flesh And Blood)
4. Perfect Way
6. Oh Patti (Don’t Feel Sorry For Loverboy)
7. Boom! There She Was
9. Tinseltown To The Boogiedown
10. Die Alone
11. Brushed With Oil, Dusted With Powder
12. Skank Bloc Bologna
13. The Sweetest Girl
14. Asylums In Jerusalem
15. Jacques Derrida
16. She’s A Woman
17. Day Late And A Dollar Short
18. A Place We Both Belong
Please post if you see it available for order from your favorite online emporium or in your local brick and mortar shop…
- April 2013 (1)
- March 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- April 2012 (1)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (4)
- January 2012 (2)
- December 2011 (5)
- October 2011 (4)
- August 2011 (1)
- Albums (48)
- Collaborations (7)
- Gigs (60)
- Portsmouth Wedgewood, July 10th 2006 (1)
- Amsterdam Paradiso, March 30th 2006 (9)
- Chicago Double Door, November 4th 2006 (2)
- Edinburgh Liquid Rooms, August 7th 2006 (2)
- Hollywood The Roxy Theatre, October 29th 2006 (4)
- London Luminaire, April 24th 2006 (5)
- London Scala, July 11th 2006 (2)
- London The Lexington, March 13th (1)
- Oxford Zodiac, July 8th 2006 (2)
- Songs of Nick Drake, January 2010 (2)
- Summersonic, August 12th-13th 2006 (1)
- Tate, August 4th 2006 (1)
- Tokyo, Club Quattro, August 10th 2006 (1)
- Interviews (34)
- Miles Davis (1)
- Press release (2)
- Producers (1)
- Arif Mardin (1)
- Radio (17)
- Rarities (10)
- Remixes (7)
- Review (10)
- Scritti Packaging (9)
- Scritti Politti (203)
- Singles (7)
- Sitetalk (11)
- Tech talk (1)
- Video (20)